Southwest Saskatchewan Hockey League
Rules and Regulations 2012-2013
AMENDED 201/2016, AMENDED 2020
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE RULES AND REGULATIONS SPECIFALLY MENTIONED AND COVERED HEREIN, THE SHA RULES AND REGULATIONS SHALL PREVAIL IN ITS ENTIRETY.
All hockey teams in the SSHAL shall be affiliated with the SHA. It shall be the duty of each club member to forward a sum required to affiliate or register the team with the SHA.
1) The League will register with the SHA. Teams violating player eligibility rules as established by SHA will forfeit all points for games that the ineligible player has played in.
2) Each team will submit to their commissioner a copy of their SHA team roster before their first league game. A copy of the SHA Addition and Deletion must be sent to the commissioner with affected score sheet. Stress this point.
3) Each team shall post a performance bond ($200/division) with the Treasurer of the League before such team can participate in any scheduled league games.
4) Each team shall pay a $175.00 fee per team annually; payable at the Fall Meeting. It is MANDATORY that game sheets are to be entered by the home team within 72 hours.
5) The amount of a fine assessed against any team, coach, manager or player for infractions of any rules, foul play, etc, by the League officers or Commissioner shall be take out of the Performance Bond so posted by the team, which amount shall be replaced with the League Treasurer with notification to League Secretary, before that team can participate in any further scheduled hockey games.
6 (a) Postponement or rescheduling of scheduled league games, except in the case of adverse weather conditions are subject to the following conditions:
AMENDED 2017 FALL MEETING
6 (b) In case of postponement due to adverse weather, the game shall be rescheduled to a mutually agreed date and time. If agreement cannot be reached the Division Commissioner shall direct the time, date and place for the game. The decision of the Division Commissioner is final.
6 (c) A team not appearing for a scheduled or rescheduled game shall forfeit the game with a recorded score of 7 to 0. If the offending team is the visiting team they shall pay the cost of ice and officials to the home team. Failure to pay will result in immediate suspension and forfeiture of all scheduled games until the debt is paid.
7) All regular season games are to be played or the teams involved do not participate in the SSHL playoffs subject to review of the Executive. In the case that a fine is to be assessed, the amount will be $500.00.
8) The management of each team shall make every effort to prevail upon rink management to improve facilities and conditions of skating rinks where it is deemed necessary for the safety and comfort of players and spectators.
9) There shall be no overtime played in regular season games that end in a tie at the end of regulation time.
10) At the completion of all League games, the teams, which number shall be agreed upon at the Fall Meeting, shall commence their play-off games without any delay. A 10-point spread mercy rule will be in effect for play-off games that are in a 2-game-total-point format IF agreed upon by both parties.
11) OVERTIME TIE-BREAKER RULES FOR PLAY-OFF GAMES:
12) League play-off formats will be established for the coming year at the League Scheduling Meeting and sent to all teams by December 1 of the current year.
13) All teams participating in the SSHAL must have the approval of the League executive to participate in tournaments during the time frame of League play-offs. Any team not having approval for tournament entry during this time will forfeit their bond and the possibility of removal of the team from League participation for the next season will exist.
14) In case of a tie in team standings at the end of the regular League games, ties shall be decided as per the SHA handbook.
15) The team finishing in a top position shall have the choice of playing the first play-off game at home and if an odd game is necessary to declare a winner, this too shall be played on the home ice of the team in the top position.
16) Clubs may sign players from their immediate rural area or from adjoining centers who are not signed with any other club provided that center does not have a team in the classification or division of hockey which his age is allowed. The only exceptions to this rule are as follows:
17) All games played in the League will be officiated using the most recent guidelines implemented by the SHA.
18) U9 and U7 balance of teams by SHA ruling. The President shall approve U9 league set up.
19) It shall be the duty of the home teams to insist the rink management assure fan control to the extent that there will be no involvement or altercations between the fans and the players, referee's, and any team officials.
20) Overage players up to a maximum of 2 players overage to be voted on and approved by the Executive.
Only written requests with complete rational for an overage players that are submitted along with the OA request form at the fall meeting. They will then be discussed and voted on the Executive Committee. Overage players must be 1 year older than the age group, but not have a team in his age group in that center, to a maximum of two players, except Swift Current. Swift Current will evaluate their players in the prospective division to determine any players based on ability and/or safety. No player fitting into the division below may be in the top 1/3 in ability and must be noted on all score sheets. Female players may play one division down pending ability, and must be noted on the score sheets as 1st or 2nd year OA. In the U18 division there is a three year age span, so there will be no overage players allowed to play in the U18 division. Exceptions to be voted on if needed at the Fall Meeting.
21) Scheduling meeting shall be held in a central location to be decided by the President.
22) SSHL would encourage fair play among all